The “CCJ Can Wait” group has written to Attorney General voicing their concerns with the lack of public education that is taking place ahead of the November 6th referendum.
Not in a position to make an informed decision
In a letter issued today (Tuesday) the group argued that the national sensitisation campaign on the Caribbean Court of Justice should have continued even after they had decided to put the issue on hold in 2015.
They also described as “alarming” the fact that no consultation have been held since government announced that they would be once again be seeking the public’s participation for the referendum.
In the letter, Chairman of the group attorney at law, Kenny Kentish said since the ballot question was made public, “members of the group had been inundated with calls and messages from members of the public asking whether another question will be asked in the referendum given that there is no reference to the CCJ of the Privy Council (JCPC)”.
He says this is a clear indication that the educational component of the process has failed miserably and had been hastily convene as consultations have had little impact assuaging the electorate.
The letter was copied to Prime Minister Gaston Browne and the National Authorising Officer Ambassador Clarence Henry.